The Croft was a late Georgian house in Church Street, being the last property on the west side of the street before West Road. It faced Spondon House on the opposite side of the street. For many years it was the property of the Lilly family, directors of Leech Neal Company. It was a fine imposing house, with what were considered to be some of the best gardens in Spondon. The Lilly family lived in it until the early 1900s, when it was purchased by Mrs Vernon, who was resident until 1930. The building later became an annexe to Spondon House School, until it was demolished in the 1960s and the land used for flats. The building further down Church Street, which can just be seen on the left, is Church Farm, although it ceased to be used as a farmhouse after the Second World War. It has now been modernished.