Spondon's Red Cross Hospital

Original author: DH

During the First World War, Spondon House school building was used as a Red Cross Hospital, from 22 November 1914 until February 1919.  During that time, it treated 30 Belgian soldiers and 975 British ones. It was staffed by a mixture of volunteer and professional medical staff as well as paid support staff (such as cooks) supplemented by a number of volunteer “home workers” and fund‑raisers.

DOWNLOADS: