Our hope for this website is to turn much of the material in our archive into a permanent, online resource which will be of use and fascination to all those with an interest in the local history of Spondon and Derby. Click here to find out more.
The website also contains information about the historical society itself, details of our regular monthly meetings (which anyone is welcome to attend) and links to some useful resources and websites about Spondon and Derby's local history.
We hope that you find the website useful and may even wish to help us in our quest to bring Spondon's history into the public eye.
Latest Archive Additions:See more latest additions...
Next SHS Meeting:
Can you help?Can you can put any names, places or dates to any of our 'mystery' photos in the archive, including:
See more 'Can You Help?' photos...
Spondon Historical Society works with the Village Improvement Committee on a series of local history publications called the Spondon Archive.
Our titles so far are:
- Spondon Clubs and Societies 1861-2011
- The Malt Shovel, Spondon
- Exploring Spondon: walks through Spondon's history
- Canoes to Commuters: transport in Spondon through the ages
- The Parish Church of St Werburgh, Spondon
- The Methodist Church, Spondon
- Spondon School 1662-1839
- Spondon School 1839-1964
- Spondon Goes to the Pictures
- My Life in Spondon and other great places
- Scouting in Spondon *New Title*
All the books are available in the village from Spondon News, Housley's Chemists and Spondon Hardware, priced at £2.50 and £3.50. If you would like us to post a copy of any of the books, either in the UK or abroad, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
We have a walk leaflet on sale locally at Housley's Chemists and at Spondon Library in Sitwell Street.
- A walk round Spondon: an introduction to an Ancient Village £1.50
The walk takes about 1½ hours at a gentle pace.